August 29, 2010

Sometimes it's not about what I cook....

Because I grew up in Alaska I can say I've tasted almost every kind of game, although it's been a long time since I've had freshly killed meat, so it was a real treat last night when we were invited over to a friend's house for duck.  Scott cut 1/2 inch slices of the breast and seasoned them with McCormicks Steak Seasoning.  On top of each breast he placed a chunk of white onion and green pepper, then rolled them into rounds and wrapped bacon around them.  He grilled them (coals, not gas) briefly and they were delicious.  Tricia made red potatoes, quartered, drizzled with olive oil, seasoned with fresh rosemary, salt and pepper.  She bakes them long and slow in a stoneware casserole dish.  She also made steamed cauliflower with Bearnaise sauce.  I brought a salad made with head lettuce, romaine lettuce, and fresh spinach.  For toppings there were feta cheese, dried cranberries, and raspberry vinaigrette.  Garlic bread and a wonderful cabernet sauvignon rounded out the meal.  Lynda made a dessert with pound cake, pudding, and raspberries.  The best part, though, was spending the evening with fabulous friends: Tricia and Scott, Lynda and Pedro, and Henry (his lovely wife couldn't make it).
I just wish I had remembered my camera, but the craziness of the day's events made it slip my mind.  Hopefully these pictures taken with my iPhone show just how fantastic the meal really was.


 Ok, I guess there was more than one bottle of wine.  Probably closer to 5, which is why my head aches just a bit today!



No comments:

Post a Comment