February 3, 2011

Squash Soup

The winter of 2008 was the winter of squash soup. I think I made it a dozen times that winter, using a recipe that called for half and half. It was delicious, but filled with needless fat and calories. Back then I only had a blender; now that I have a wicked awesome food processor, a creamy consistency without the cream is no problem. Last week, I made squash soup for the first time in a long time and I made it the healthy way

Ingredients
  • 1 small butternut squash, cubed
  • 1 small onion, chopped 
  • 3 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
  • 32 oz chicken stock
  • 1 tsp butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste


Directions
  • Melt butter in a large pot
  • Cook squash, onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes until lightly browned 
  • Cover vegetables with chicken stock and bring to boil
  • Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for 40 min or until veggies are tender
  • Transfer to wicked awesome food processor and process until creamy
  • Transfer back to pot and heat for a few min, until the temperature's right
Thank you to allrecipes.com for the recipe! 


Also, thank you to S. for being such a willing guinea pig! I paired the soup with a nice Zinfandel from Amador County, plus a selection of cheeses, bread, and veggie sticks. 

Note that I do not own a dining table. Such is life in NYC. 

-Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment