March 16, 2011

...the end is almost here....

As soup season winds to a close, I reminisce about the wonderful, heavier, winter-type meals I've made (and the lack of meals my sister has made :-).   Hearty soups with beef, potatoes, vegetables, and cream.  All so good, and not so good for my health.  Today's inspiration came from the Sacramento Bee, again, yet was changed to incorporate healthier ingredients for a lighter, yet bolder flavor.

Turkey Kielbasa and Bean Soup
One large turkey kielbasa, cut into small chunks.  Brown in olive oil with diced red onion and garlic (the more the better) for about 15 minutes.  Add a small pinch of paprika.  Add six cups of vegetable stock (I make mine by mixing beef and chicken stock, equal amounts), one 14 oz can diced tomatoes, one medium can of navy beans rinsed well, one finely chopped chipotle from adobe sauce, and 2 cups finely shredded cabbage.  Bring to boil and turn down to simmer for approx. one hour.


Helpful Hints
The original recipe calls for chorizo, but substituting turkey kielbasa cuts the fat WAY down.  Also, the recipe did not call for cabbage, but I had some leftover from fish tacos and I like cabbage in soup, so...
Chipotle can be added to any dish for a bit of smokey, spicy flavor.  Just remember to peel it open and scrape out the seeds first.  Be sure to wash hands VERY well after doing this.
I didn't have navy beans on hand so I used white beans, which are very similar.  



~Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment