June 25, 2011

Simple Summer Suppers....

 (I know alliteration is corny, but I love it!)

Recurring themes seems to be appropriate titles for both my blogs this week.....yeah, it's been a while since I've blogged.  No excuse except that I've been lax in just about everything.

Summer has *finally* made it to Northern California, and with that comes the freshest fruits and veggies one can get.  I made it to the farmer's market in Elk Grove Park last week and was happy to get cherries (mixed Rainer and Bing), 5 lbs for $5.  Great price.  I also found fresh green beans, $1 for a large bag. 

So, this morning I marinated a flank steak with soy sauce, a few TB veg. oil, a few tsp. brown sugar, chopped green onions, dijon mustard, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, pepper, and lots of garlic.  Joe grilled it for approx. 5 min.

The green beans were steamed, and served with a little pat of butter and Montreal Steak Seasoning.

From my new issue of FNM, and the small pullout section of potato salads:  red potatoes with olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary, and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Add chopped parsley, 2 Tbsp dijon, and 2 tsp lemon juice.

Serve with any red wine of choice, but if I'm coming it had better be a Zin, and a good one at that.  I recommend 7 Deadly Zins by Michael David winery of Lodi, CA.

Helpful Hints

Of course all the seasonings are to taste.  We tend to go heavy on garlic in  everything. 

A good roasting pan is a necessity in every kitchen.  Mine is ceramic from Portugal.  For those familiar with Home Goods I suggest shopping there for any kitchen item.  Really, they are my go-to place when I need a pan, serving dish, or a new, funky towel. 

Fresh vegetables are always better when a little crisp.  NEVER steam veggies until they're soggy.  Not only do they lose nutritional value that way, but the flavor evaporates as well.




For those wondering if my family is starving....

No, I've just been preoccupied with a lot of other family issues.  For the second year in a row I've received a layoff notice, forcing me to re-evaluate my future career plans.  Still not sure what's going to happen there, but I have decided a new line of work is probably called for.  Also, Jessica's high school graduation (and the weeks preceding) were extremely busy.  Sometimes I feel as if my kids joined EVERY single activity available.  And, I've just been allowing myself to be kinda lazy.

We've actually eaten very well and have many meals worthy of blogging about, but again, I've been lazy......

No comments:

Post a Comment